Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdel Aty discussed with his Jordanian counterpart Ayman Safadi on Wednesday the Egyptian-Qatari efforts to calm the situation and consolidate the ceasefire in the Gaza Strip.
This came during a phone call between Abdel-Ati and Safadi regarding the Palestinian issue and the situation in the West Bank, Gaza Strip, and East Jerusalem, according to a statement from the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The statement said the call came "in light of the ongoing Israeli escalation and flagrant violations of international law in the West Bank, Gaza Strip, and East Jerusalem."
He added that the call "witnessed a discussion between the two ministers about Egyptian-Qatari efforts to calm the situation and consolidate the ceasefire in the Gaza Strip, particularly in light of the deteriorating humanitarian conditions there."
On March 18, Israel reneged on the ceasefire and prisoner exchange agreement with Hamas, which had entered into force on January 19, 2025, through Egyptian and Qatari mediation and US support, and resumed its genocidal war on the Gaza Strip, which began on October 7, 2023.
Discussions also addressed "the escalating negative developments in the West Bank in light of the dangerous Israeli escalation and policy of repeated incursions into Palestinian cities, land confiscation, and increased settlement activity, as well as the continued Israeli provocations, most recently in East Jerusalem and the storming of the Al-Aqsa Mosque by Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir (Wednesday morning)."
Earlier on Wednesday, Ben-Gvir stormed the Al-Aqsa Mosque in occupied East Jerusalem under heavy guard.
An official at the Jerusalem Islamic Waqf Department, who declined to be named, said that the far-right extremist Ben Gvir stormed the Al-Aqsa Mosque accompanied by more than 24 Israeli settlers.
Ben-Gvir's intention to storm Al-Aqsa Mosque on Wednesday was not announced in advance, just days before the Jewish Passover holiday, which begins on April 12 and lasts for 10 days.
This is the fifth time Ben-Gvir has stormed Al-Aqsa Mosque since the start of the war on the Gaza Strip on October 7, 2023, and the eighth time since he assumed his position as minister in late 2022.
Abdel-Ati and Al-Safadi also discussed the work of the Arab-Islamic Ministerial Committee and ways to activate its role in supporting the Palestinian people and implementing the outcomes of the emergency Arab summit in Cairo, held on March 4.
The statement noted that the call "reflected the two countries' identical visions on developments in the Palestinian territories, as both sides stressed that there will be no stability in the region without the Palestinian people obtaining their full legitimate rights, foremost among them their right to self-determination and the establishment of their independent state on the June 4, 1967, lines with East Jerusalem as its capital."
Since October 7, 2023, Israel, with US support, has been committing genocide in Gaza, leaving more than 165,000 Palestinians dead and wounded, most of them children and women, and more than 14,000 missing.
Since the start of its war of extermination in the Gaza Strip, the Israeli army and settlers have escalated their attacks in the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, resulting in the deaths of more than 942 Palestinians, the injury of nearly 7,000 people, and the arrest of 15,700 others, according to official Palestinian data.
Share your opinion
Egypt and Jordan discuss efforts to consolidate the ceasefire in Gaza.